The news article has to have something to do with this week’s objectives:
Upon completion of this week, you will be able to:
- Describe the three traditional patrol methods and what the results of the Kansas City study revealed about their effectiveness.
- Discuss the value of various patrol innovations, including evidence-based policing, predictive policing, and smart policing.
- Discuss the issues and perspectives behind decisions on how to deploy personnel on patrol.
- Explain alternative strategies in use to better combat certain types of crime.
- Discuss the innovations to police detective operations motivated by the Rand study and other research.
- Identify alternatives to retroactive investigation of past crimes by detectives.
- Explain how crime analysis and information management benefits law enforcement, including examples of recent technology in this area.
- Describe some of the proactive tactics employed by investigators.
Week 5 News and Media Review
Each assignment will consist of a posting of a relevant news article or media or story relating to the topics for the week. The students will upload the topic with a link to the article or story and discuss the relevancy to the readings. 300 word minimum. [LO 1-8]
Review the News and Media Review Rubric for grading guidelines.