1. Read “The Waste Land” by T. S. Eliot.
2. Read the following analysis of the poem by Dr. Oliver Tearle (and be sure to watch the 3.5 minute video at the end): https://interestingliterature.com/2016/10/a-summar…
3. Answer the following questions.
- Do you think the intended audience in 1922 understood all of the allusions in this poem?
- Why is this poem considered such an important text in the modernist movement?
- What do you believe the deeper meaning of the poem is?
- There are many references to different languages, cultures, myths, and religions. How is this typical of a modernist writer?