Choose ONE (1) of the categories listed below to focus on for this assignment.
- Write a paper in which you compare and contrast two major Western religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam). Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Address the origins, region, main leaders, the particular teachings/philosophies, rituals, scriptures, holy days/holidays, and impact of the religions. Use the categories and terms from chapter 1 in your descriptions of the religions.
- In a paper, Write a dialogue between two of the following: Moses, Jesus, Muhammad. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Address these points: origin/birth; what led to their ethical system; what is their ethical system; what was the response to this system. Compare and contrast their teachings/philosophies. Use the terms and concepts from Chapter 1 to inform your research and presentation.
- Write a paper in which you present a visual report on two (2) Western religions sites nearby [at least one has to be either Judaism or Islam]. An alternative for those in rural places would be to do an Internet search of two religious locations. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Look at architecture, interior space, etc. Include visuals to illustrate your points. How do these reflect the definitions and terms of Chapter 1 and what we have learned about these religions?
- Conduct an extensive interview with a person who practices Western religions, the Sikh faith, or New Religious Movements and write a paper presenting the results of this interview. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Use these questions in your interview: How did you become associated with this religion? What is it about this religion that intrigues you? Is it difficult to practice your faith? What readings/scriptures do you use? What are some rituals you perform? What holy days/holidays do you keep? What would you like your neighbors/colleagues to know about your faith? Use the definitions and categories of religion from Chapter 1
to guide the interview.
- Write a paper that explores religion in the news. Find an extensive news story on one Western religion or one of the New Religious Movements. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Using 5 (five) terms and concepts from Chapter 1 and pertinent chapters from Fisher, interpret that story for people at a family gathering by explaining how it relates to the basic tenets of that faith tradition.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Use at least three (3) quality resources as references for the assignment and document your sources using SWS Style for in-text citations and references. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Write clearly and coherently using correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and mechanics.
Your assignment must meet these requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different from other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.