Pages – 3-5 pages (not including the ad)
Materials needed: An example from advertising (a print ad, a synopsis of a TV commercial, etc.) in which masculinity, or manhood, is referred to explicitly – whether used literally or ironically.
- Explain what you feel the people who made the ad are trying to do; specifically, how are the advertisers attempting to use masculinity, and gender, to sell their product?
- What assumptions do the advertisers seem to be making about those who will be influenced by the ad?
- Analyze masculinity in a TV or print ad, or other media image. Focus specifically on:
- The way masculinity is portrayed, especially as related to the body.
- What that portrayal signals about what kind of man is pictured.
- What effect(s) this is designed to have on those looking at the image.