In this assignment you will develop an eight item index for measuring loneliness. (This will be your own newly devised measure, not one of the already established measures of loneliness.) In devising your measure, you will be working with the conceptual definition of loneliness found at the following web site: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/wellbeing/methodologies/measuringlonelinessguidanceforuseofthenationalindicatorsonsurveys (Links to an external site.)
Be sure that your items are really “on target” and actually measuring the concept defined in the link above. In addition to making up the items, I also want you to address the following items/issues:
- Write up a brief justification of your index’ content validity.
- For each item in your index, use a set of response options that allow you to achieve either the nominal or the ordinal level of measurement.
- Take care that your items do not encourage a response set.
- After presenting your index, you should include a set of “instructions” for how to calculate a total loneliness score as well as indicate any items that need to be reversed coded.
- Finally, tell me the level of measurement achieved in each index item (explain why) as well as the level for the entire index (explain why).