It is important to understand what information systems are and why they areessential for running and managing a business. It is also important tounderstand the different systems that support different groups or levels ofmanagement. In addition, digital technology and the Internet play a key rolein executing major business processes in the enterprise. Also, it isimportant to understand the ethical, social, and political issues raised byinformation systems.
The case studies below provide you with an opportunity to criticallyanalyze events that are taking place in real-life businesses. This helps todevelop your critical thinking and research skills as you research each ofthese scenarios.
For this assignment, review four case studies—two from Chapter 1 and twofrom Chapter 2. Then, in an essay, evaluate the studies and respond to each ofthe questions below, using both critical thinking and theory as well assupporting documentation.
In Chapter 1, read the case study “UPS Competes Globally with InformationTechnology” on pages 23–24 (attached) of the textbook. Then, answer the questionsbelow.
- How does UPS use information systems technology to achieve itsstrategic goals of being more efficient and customer oriented?
- What would happen if the automated package tracking system was notavailable?
- Discuss how globalization has “flattened” the world.
In Chapter 2, read the case study “Data Changes How NFL Teams Play the Gameand How Fans See It” on pages 52–53 (attached) of the textbook. The, address the promptsbelow.
- Analyze how information systems are transforming business.
- What types of systems does the NFL and its teams use?
- What is the role that these systems play in improving bothoperations and decision-making?
In Chapter 3, read the case study “Smart Products—Coming Your Way” on pages102–103 (attached) of the textbook. Then, address the prompts below.
- Explain the importance of collaboration and information sharing forbusinesses.
- Explain what a “smart” product is, and use an example.
- How do smart products increase rivalry among firms?
In Chapter 4, read the case study “Are Cars Becoming Big Brother onWheels?” on pages 121–122 (attached) of the textbook. Then, address the promptsbelow.
- Describe how new technology trends may cause ethical dilemmas.
- Discuss at least one ethical, social, and political issue raised byembedded cyber connections in cars.
- Discuss how big data analytics are being applied to all of the datagenerated by motor vehicles.
In formatting your case analysis, do not use the question-and-answerformat; instead, use an essay format with subheadings. Your APA-formatted casestudy must be at least four pages in length (not counting the title andreference pages).
You are required to use a minimum of three peer-reviewed, academic sourcesthat are no more than 5 years old (one may be your textbook) Laudon, K. C., & Laudon, J. P. (2020). Management information systems: Managing the digital firm(16th ed.) [VitalSource Bookshelf version]. Upper Saddle River, NJ:Pearson. Retrieved from https://online.vitalsource.com/#/books/97801351921. All sourcesused, including the textbook, must be referenced; all paraphrased materialmust have accompanying in-text citations.