TC, a 32 year old patient, was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus after the birth of her first child; her blood glucose level was 180 mg/dl. Her serum glucose level has been has been maintained within the normal range with metformin 500 mg daily
1. Why was TC, 32 years of age, taking an oral antidiabetic drug instead of insulin?
2. Metformin is indicated for what type of diabetes mellitus? When should metformin not be taken.
3. Why shold TC monitor her blood glucose using a home glucometer?
Twi years later, TC became pregnant again. Metformin was discontinued, and NPH insulin 25 units was prescribed. SInce the birth of her second child, she has remained on NPH 25 units/day
4. Given possible reason why the health care provider changed the antidiabetic drug to insulin when TC became pregnant?
5. What are examples of humanhuman insulin and what its it advantage