First thing is the discussion essay just like what you did last week.
- James McCarthy, “Speech at Wheeling” 1950 – McCarthy,in a speech at Wheeling, West Virginia, mounted an attack on Truman’sforeign policy agenda by charging that the State Department and itsSecretary, Dean Acheson, harbored “traitorous” Communists.
- Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique (excerpt) – Look at this excerpt of Friedan’s famous contribution to the struggle for equality between sexes.
- Betty Friedan, Quotes -With this list you can have not only a look at some of Friedan’s betterknown quotes, but also understand better the arguments made byfeminists during the 1960s and 1970s for a better place of women insociety.
- Sex Pistols, “God Save the Queen” (Video with Lyrics) – TheSex Pistols, one of the first punk bands in England, sang about thedesperation of English youth in the late 1970s. This song was a directattack on the greatest symbol of traditional English society, the Queen.
- The Clash, “White Riot” (Video with Lyrics) – Thissong appeared in the first album of the new punk group The Clash in1977. It’s aim was to appeal to white youth in England during a time ofeconomic recession at the end of the 1970s. Although it was consideredracist by some, if you listen to the lyrics you will hear that itcompares black activism very favorably to the laziness of white Englishyouth.
- Public Enemy, “Burn Hollywood Burn” (Lyrics)(and Video)-This song by Public Enemy criticizes Hollywood movies for being racist.At the time it appeared (1990), it had a great impact. What is the songaddressing directly (and indirectly)? How do you think culture todaycompares?
The readings this week were chosen because they represent the differentcultural shifts experienced in Western societies (starting with theUnited States) during the Cold War. What were the connecting linksbetween the different movements that demanded change in society andculture during this period? Use the arguments in the readings to comparesimilarities and differences in the demands and approaches of eachmovement. What, in your opinion, made it possible for people to wantthese changes? Your response should be a minimum of three paragraphs.
I’ll definitely add the assignment details lol sorry for not doing it before