Course Textbook: https://d3bxy9euw4e147.cloudfront.net/oscms-prodcms/media/documents/IntroductionToSociology2e-OP.pdf
- What is your reaction to the content of the videos about food deserts? Are you surprised? Do you have any personal experiences that connect?
- Apply one of the three major theoretical perspectives to the content of the video. How would a sociologist understand food deserts?
- Name a current or historical social movement and describe
- It’s ideological commitment to promote or resist social change
- The cultural codes it challenges
- What, if any, social changes have you noticed since the last presidential election?
One of the current social movements is the Animal right movement. Sometimes it is also called the Animal advocacy movement. This movement states that animals have the right to live free from human exploitation. It is the world’s largest and longest-running animal rights social movement which was created in 1981.This social movement wants to end the rigid and legal distinction drawn between humans and animals. The movement wants to stop using animals as property, in the research, food, clothing, and entertainment industries. Animal rights movement believes that animals deserve recognition and protection. This movement has existed for 40 years already. And they have achieved some success in animal protection. For example 40 years ago hundreds of chimpanzees were subjected to cruel medical experiments. Today the Animal right movement proudly says that no one chimpanzee is used for any medical experiment. The other example is most of the medical students practiced surgical procedures on live dogs. Today, none do. 40 years ago, wearing fur was a high fashion statement. Today, all major fashion brands have banned fur. But besides some achieved success this movement has still been challenged by many cultural codes. For example animals have been used to serve humans from ancient times. Horses were used as transport and dogs protected houses. Muslims use sheep and cocks for sacrifice. People eat animal meat and use their fur as clothes. That’s why it is very difficult for many people to admit that they have to stop using animals as food and clothes.