For this assignment, you will write a 1-2 page paper in which you present your decision and justification for the following situation:
You have three beds available in your intensive care unit and five patients who need a bed. All five patients arrived at the same time, so you cannot select on a first come first serve basis. A short description for each patient is provided below. You will need to present your case for selecting your three patients and state the criteria used for turning away the other two.
- Ms. Smith is a 16-year-old patient with a disability who fell on cement and has a brain aneurysm.
- Mr. Vargas is a 75-year-old retired general and infectious disease patient who suffers from a rare infection caused by a dog bite.
- Mr. Hu is a 30-year-old accountant and hemophiliac patient with HIV contracted as a child from contaminated blood during a surgery.
- Ms. DeYoung is a 23-year-old college student in a persistent coma following an alcohol/drug overdose at a party.
- Mr. Carter is a 9-year-old recurring patient with head trauma and is in a persistent vegetative state. Doctors suspect child abuse.