Compare and contrast forward and futures contracts.
2. Differentiate between a currency call option and a currency put option.
3. Compute the forward discount or premium for the Mexican peso whose 90-day forward rate is $.102 and spot rate is $.10. State whether your answer is a discount or premium.
4. Randy Rudecki purchased a call option on British pounds for $.02 per unit. The strike price was $1.45 and the spot rate at the time the option was exercised was $1.46. Assume there are 31,250 units in a British pound option. What was Randy’s net profit/loss on this option?
5. Alice Duever purchased a put option on British pounds for $.04 per unit. The strike price was $1.80 and the spot rate at the time the pound option was exercised was $1.59. Assume there are 31,250 units in a British pound option. What was Alice’s net profit on the option?
6. Compare and contrast the fixed, freely floating, and managed float exchange rate systems. What are some advantages and disadvantages of a freely floating exchange rate system versus a fixed exchange rate system?
7. How can a central bank use direct intervention to change the value of a currency? Explain why a central bank may desire to smooth exchange rate movements of its currency.
8. What is the impact of a weak home currency on the home economy, other things being equal? What is the impact of a strong home currency on the home economy, other things being equal?
9. The Hong Kong dollar’s value is tied to the U.S. dollar. Explain how the following trade patterns would be affected by the appreciation of the Japanese yen against the dollar: (a) Hong Kong exports to Japan and (b) Hong Kong exports to the United States.
10. Suppose that the government of Chile reduces one of its key interest rates. The values of several other Latin American currencies are expected to change substantially against the Chilean peso in response to the news.
a. Explain why other Latin American currencies could be affected by a cut in Chile’s interest rates.
b. How would the central banks of other Latin American countries be likely to adjust their interest rates? How would the currencies of these countries respond to the central bank intervention?
Do not Cheating or coping. My professor will double check it.