Write an essay analyzing August Wilson’s Fences that discusses why and how dialogue, plot, setting (time/place), and/or specific characters are used to depict one or two of the themes in a particular way. For the play itself, some important contexts to consider are:
- The time period in which the play was written
- The playwright’s biography and his/her other writing
- Contemporaneous works of theater (plays written or produced by other artists at roughly the same time)
- The language of the play
- The Setting
- The Plot
- The Characters
Your essay should incorporate details and quotes from the play (using parenthetical documentation with the playwright’s name), and you should use your own words to elaborate on the meanings of the details and quotes you use as evidence. Review your feedback from the Unit 4 Discussion on Analyzing a Drama, as well as the posts and feedback of your classmates. Follow these steps:
- You will closely read/view Fences considering its themes, characters, organization, dialogue, and other literary elements.
- Read and reread the play by paying attention to the varied features. Your awareness of these literary elements and how these elements build the story’s meaning will grow.
- Be sure to maintain an appropriate academic tone (no slang, second-person [“you,” “we”], contractions, etc.)
When writing your essay, the goal is to demonstrate what spin the play has on a particular theme. Be specific about the ways the theme is used and how the play’s use of time period, character, dialogue, and setting develop a deeper meaning to the theme. Provide details, including cited direct quotes from the play. Don’t forget that you must comment on the quotes you use to explain why they are significant.
Criteria on Which You Will be Graded:
- The specificity and development of your thesis
- Your supporting claims, logic, and organization
- The quality of your writing, to include paragraph development and organization: topic sentences, conclusions, transitions, etc.
- Your engagement with the text (how you explain your examples, your choice of supporting quotations)
- Format: You are required to use MLA style for all writing assignments. Proper MLA citation and a correctly formatted Works Cited page (12-point font, Times New Roman, double spacing, Last name and page number on each page, etc.)
- Academic Honesty (all sources must be cited)
- Will be submitted to Turnitin.
- Length Requirement: 750-1000 words