Link to Fences (Please let me know if this don’t work):
Since Fences, like many of August Wilson’s plays, explores the evolving African American experience, we cannot view the play without including the setting, 1950s American culture. The characters’ backstories, personalities, and motivations are conveyed through the dialogue and action but much remains unsaid and left to audience members’ speculation.
In this discussion assignment, you will submit a thesis statement related to a theme from Unit 1 and support this thesis with evidence using one or more quotes from the play.
In two paragraphs, discuss why and how your thesis statement (claim or argument) connects with one or two of the themes:
- Love (filial, romantic, or platonic)
- The American Dream/Nightmare
- The Quest for Identity/Coming of Age
Use specific details from the text to support your point, including at least one direct quote.
Criteria on which you will be graded:
- Your thesis statement “makes a claim that others might dispute”
- Your choice of theme or themes is well-supported by your textual examples.
- Your explanation and engagement of your chosen quotations.
- Your responses to your classmates are respectful, thoughtful, and original (i.e., not merely “good job!”)